You can grab a copy of my resume here
Hey there, my name's Gavin, and I'm currently a 4th year statistics student studying machine learning and data mining at the University of Toronto.
Click on the expanding sections below to learn more about me:
React Native, GatsbyJS
Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Firebase, GitHub, Bitbucket, JIRA, SVN
The Association of Mathematical and Computer Science Students (AMACSS UTSC)
VP of Technology (2020 - Present)
- Oversees the technologies of the association and maintain day-to-day technology related operations, acts as communication channel for internal and external organizations, responsible for outreach and maintenance of open source iniative in the CMS community.
Developer Student Clubs (DSC UTSC)
UX Lead Exec (2019 - 2020)
- Tasked with guiding club members on user design choices and front end concepts. Main duties include creating and maintaining club website, being the primary photographer for club events/meetings, part of team hosting Google Developer workshops.
University of Toronto Hong Kong Student Club (UTHKSC)
Jr. Media Exec (2019 - 2020)
- As member of Media team, performed duties such as covering events with photography/videography. Worked closely with Marketing devision to promote club and events.
University of Toronto Badminton Intramurals Team
- Mens Singles/Doubles and Mixed (2016 - 2018)
High Performance Provincial/National Club Teams
- (2012 - 2017) Details on Badminton Page
- My main hobby right now is photography. I mainly use my Nikon Z6 to shoot urban/car photography. It started back in highschool where I was tasked with shooting and editing every single english class project skits.
- Believe it or not, I used to play badminton at the National competitive level (excluding the 1 time I competed Internationally in the USA). My highest achievement was Bronze medalist in Mens Singles Under 16 at Montreal Nationals and consolation Finalist Mens Singles Under 16 at National Championships at Vancouver. The USA competition I got Gold in Mens Doubles Under 17. Details in the Badminton Page.
- Probably the reason I got into model building was because I was obsessed with aviation at a very young age and the closest I could get to planes was to build models of them.
- Call me a weeb or otaku, doesn't matter to me. All that matters is I enjoy the stories they bring.
- Yup I game. I regularly play 3 games: CS:GO, League of Legends, World of Warships.
- I still have a soft spot for planes and aviation. If you gave me the opportunity to drop everything and just fly for a living I would take it without hesitation.
Q: "Did you dye your hair white?"
A: No actually, the white/gold/black hair strands are all natural. I've had it since I was 7 years old.
Q: "Why is your username 'TheSilentFlare'?"
A: Long story short, in aviation terms to achieve a good soft landing the pilot 'flares' around 5 feet above the runway. Upon landing usually the wheels squeel due to the sudden friction. Then a graceful landing would require a flare and a silent touchdown, hence: TheSilentFlare.
Q: "If you wanted to be a pilot so bad, why aren't you one yet?"
A: Simply put, I am still working towards that goal, whether it only be a PPL or full CPL.